England Lions (24) 36

Tries: Tully, Kenyon, Dore, McMahon, Connelly, Harber Goals: McMahon 6

Scotland U19 (10) 10

Tries: Hogg, C Kennedy Goals: Hogg 1


An entertaining international game provided the perfect appetizer for Rugby League fans at Twist Lane, home of Leigh Miners Rangers, played ahead of the Super League Grand Final.

A strong England started well with Leicester City Roosters prop proving too big and powerful from close range. Gary McMahon (Wigan St Judes) hit the first of six goals and the Lions were 6-0 up.

Minutes later McMahon split the defence and Liam Kenyon (Blackbrook Royals) supported to go forty metres to the posts. McMahon’s goal made it 12-0 and by the time powerful Brixton Bulls prop Sam Dore went over from close range after snapping up an offload, McMahon had also made it 18-0.

Midway through the first half the signs looked ominous for Scotland when Blackbrook back row Tom Goulding broke and got a great offload out for McMahon to claim his own try and goal to open the score out to 24-0.

Scotland then roared back into the contest. First Edinburgh Eagles halfback Matt Hogg intercepted and held off the chasers over a forty metre dash in the wet, then Hogg was on hand to goal as Callum Kennedy (also Eagles) put a strong finish to a pass from ex Canterbury Bulldog halfback Will Kerr after the visitors had gone seventy metres on the set. The referee blew his whistle for half-time and Scotland were in striking distance at 24-10.

The rain came down and made ball movement difficult in the opening stages of the second half. Eventually though with Halifax Elite rugby Academy prop Titus Gwaze punching holes in the defence, England did take advantage as Cole Connelly (Rochdale Mayfield) stepped away from three defenders at close quarters and darted to the posts.

Scotland throught they had pulled a try back when Hogg did everything he could to get to the line but the decision was a knock on. England marched downfield in clinical fashion and scored their final try through Wigan St Judes prop Liam Harber after good running in the set by Oliver Greensmith (Criggleston All Blacks) and Thatto Heath full back Charlie Taylor. McMahon completed a sixteen point haul with his final goal.

The late sending off of Scotland’s Elliot Scanlon-Wells (Rochdale Mayfield) for use of the feet and England’s Tully (high tackle) had little bearing with England holding their nerve for the twenty-six point winning margin.



Will Ashworth (Leigh Miners Rangers), Kelland Thomas Smith (Brixton Bulls), Kurtis Teare (Wath Brow Hornets), James Goulsbra Miller (West Hull), Oliver Greensmith (Criggleston All Blacks), Cole Connelly (Rochdale Mayfield), Gary McMahon (Wigan St Judes), Will Tully (Leicester City Roosters), Eddie Wilcock (New College Pontefract), Liam Harber (Wigan St Judes), William Jones (Wigan St Patricks), Liam Kenyon (Blackbrook Royals), Tom Goulding (Blackbrook Royals), Sam Dore (Brixton Bulls), Titus Gwaze (Halifax Elite Rugby Academy), Jack Thompson (Egremont Rangers), Jordan Bull (Lock Lane), James Beckett (Featherstone Lions), Kier Shepherd (Askam), Charlie Taylor (Thatto Heath Crusaders)


Niall Sidney (City of Hull), Alfie Edwards (London Broncos), Clayton Woods (Edinburgh Eagles), Callum Kennedy (Edinburgh Eagles), Timmy Kennedy (Edinburgh Eagles), Will Kerr, Matt Hogg (Edinburgh Eagles), Callum Weir (Carluke Tigers), Alex Williams (Edinburgh Eagles), Jack Stevenson (Halifax Elite Acadamy), Luke Drummond (Edinburgh Eagles), Elliot Scanlon-Wells (Rochdale Mayfield), Sean McKervail (Strathmore Silverbacks), Cameron Harrison (Edinburgh Eagles), Connor Miekle (Carluke Tigers), Fergus Simpson (Cramlington Rockets), Patrick Noutch (Edinburgh Eagles)

Article By: Dave Parkinson @DParkyRL (Love Rugby League)