Ireland: (38) 42

Tries: Groves (4), Walker, Argent, Hope, Godward Goals: Godward (5)

Scotland: (18) 52

Tries: Young (2), Hawkins(7), Anderson, Dobson Goals: Young (3), Hawkins

Scotland Wheelchair Rugby League coaches Peter Lowis and Jim Dyson named 4 new debutants in the squad for the Celtic Cup hoping to gain a win in all competitions since the 2015 European Championship.

They also named Jay Anderson captain making her the first women to captain a nation in Wheelchair Rugby League.

Ireland won the toss and elected to receive. Scotland didn’t get off to a great start conceding 2 tries in the first 3 minutes both scored by Seb Groves with Tony Godward Converting.

Scotland came close to scoring on 6 minutes with Gavin Dobson just come up short of the line after a 2 set build up.

Ireland then extended their lead on 10 minutes working the ball to the right following a Scotland drop out Stewart Walker dummied debutant Hawkins to touch down. Godward converted. Ireland scored again on 15 minutes when Ste Argent went over in the corner then Groves crossed on 19 minutes to make the score 26-0.

On 24 minutes Scotland finally got on the board when Callum Young found a gap on the Right hand side to touch down. Missed conversion from Rob Hawkins. On 26 minutes following an 8m restart an injection of pace from debutant Hawkins in the build up enabled him to score having evaded a Groves tackle.

Groves then scored a try on 32 minutes following a Scotland knock-on 8m out which Godward converted. Following an 8m re-start on 35 minutes Ireland got Scotland on the backfoot enabling Ben Hope to score easily with a Godward conversion.

Following a Scotland 8m restart on 38 minutes a quick play of the ball by Dobson enabled Young to score and convert his own try. Then just before the half time hooter Ireland went over the touchline attempting to score. From the re-start good build up allowed Hawkins to race down the wing the score but missed the conversion

In the 2nd half the opening exchanges were pretty even but on 45 mins with Scotland starting from their own line and after an initial drive Hawkins showed a turn of pace to score under the post but wasn’t able to convert. After great work from Hawkins on 50 mins Young drifted to the right hand side with a clever inside pass to Jay Anderson who scored which Young converted.

Scotland knocked-on close to their line on 52 mins, Ireland had a good set from which Godward scored on 5th Tackle but was unable to convert.

From the Scotland kick off Hawkins managed to pick up his own kick and after working the ball to right hand side the play was switched the other way passing the ball through hands for Dobson to score. Conversion missed. Then following an Ireland played forced into touch, some good play from Scotland presented Hawkins with his 4th try of the game. Conversion missed. Hawkins then grabbed a 5th try on 60 mins when he chased down his own kick to put Scotland within 2 points of Ireland.

On 64 mins Scotland took the lead when from their own line good build up allowed Hawkins a 6th try after evading a tackle to touch down under posts which he converted. The come back was topped off moments later when Hawkins scored his 7th try when he found a gap in Ireland defence to race away and score.

With both sides having good sets and chances to score in the final 14 mins Scotland managed to close the game out winning the game 52 to 42, the first win since 2015.

Ireland Barbarians: Seb Groves, Aaron Thomas (Medway Dragons), Ben Hope, Nevil Hope (Gravesend Dynamite), Peter Johnson Jnr (Argonauts), Stewart Walker (Bradford Bulls), Tony Godward (Halifax), Ste Argent (St Helens)

Scotland: Jay Anderson, David Birtles, John Willans (Dundee Dragons), Gavin Dobson (Rochdale Hornets), Callum Young (Leyland Warriors), Robert Hawkins (Halifax), Mac Mclaren (The Army), Alex Howe (St. Helens)